Environmental Technician – Chemical Company
Country location: Mesaieed / Ras Laffan Qatar
Industry sector: Chemical
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Education Required (Qualification1 / Discipline): Diploma in Environmental Science or Chemistry.
- Preferred (Qualification1 / Discipline): Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science or Chemistry.
Required (Years2 / Job Level3 / Industry): 3-5 years of experience in the Oil & Gas Industry in Environment discipline. Preferred (Years2 / Job Level3 / Industry): Experience in Petrochemicals Industry. Other Job Specific Requirements and/or Vocational Accreditations
- Microsoft Office Applications.
- Environmental Management System
- Read and understand PIDs & PFDs Languages Required (Language / Level4 ): English – Proficient Preferred (Language / Level4 ): Arabic – Working knowledge
JOB PURPOSE / OBJECTIVE
Monitor the environmental regulatory compliance and investigate sources of pollution by performing laboratory and field tests to identify, evaluate, prevent, and control contamination of the environment. Carry regular site inspections and implement environmental programs to ensure compliance, effectiveness, and continual improvement of pollution prevention.
Regulatory Environmental Compliance
- Carry out field measurements of regulated environmental monitoring parameters for air emissions, water discharges, groundwater, noise monitoring, waste generation, etc, and update records on monitoring databases per Environmental Monitoring Plan or as instructed by Environmental Engineer.
- Report any non-compliance issue or abnormal condition to Environmental Engineers immediately and seeks clarification when in doubt to clearly understand and immediately resolve issues.
- Conduct periodical plant environmental compliance inspections and housekeeping checks to ensure good follow-up on guidelines, directives and standards and full implementation of corrective/preventive actions by all units.
- Perform daily, weekly, and monthly inspections at production sites and off-sites and reports any noncompliance issues or potential environmental impacts promptly to Environmental Engineer and area operator for immediate corrective action implementation.
Environmental Programs Implementation
- Assist Environmental Engineers in the implementation of the Environmental Management System, Pollution Prevention, Resources Conservation, and Waste Minimization programs and suggest improvement opportunities to these programs.
- Participate actively in investigating environmental incidents / events, periodical audits, safety walk-downs, and similar activities when requested by Environmental Engineer and suggests improvement opportunities in the environmental compliance field.
- Assist Waste Management Specialist in supervising waste management contractor personnel to ensure their safety and adherence to applicable policies and procedures and relevant JSAs and suggests improvement opportunities in waste management field.
- Support the Leak Detection and Repair (LDAR) Program activities to identify leaking fugitive sources, tracking the arrest of the leaks, and update LDAR database when necessary.Environmental Engineering Monitoring Equipment Maintenance
- Maintain enough stock of consumable items and spare parts for the environmental monitoring analyzers, equipment, and tools at all times.
- Maintain and calibrate stack emissions monitoring portable analyzers periodically and/or sends them to manufacturer for third party calibrations and troubleshooting and keeps records of work done.
- Maintain (as needed) the water and groundwater quality monitoring portable analyzers, noise meter and thermal radiation monitoring analyzers and calibrate them if necessary and/or sends them to manufacturer for troubleshooting and keeps records of work done.
- Maintain weather station periodically, attends hardware and software troubleshooting issues, keeps records of work done, and updates records of daily weather records.
- Maintain plant-wide distributed spill response kits, replenishes consumed items, and keeps records of consumption.
- Sustain the environmental workshop in clean, tidy, and safe condition at all times. Environmental Compliance Monitoring & Reports
- Keep up-to-date records of the environmental monitoring equipment’ periodical inspections and calibrations, reports faulty equipment to Environmental Engineers.
- Coordinate with the plant laboratory and outdoor contracted laboratories for compliance monitoring of waste, wastewater, and hazardous materials, including sample preservation, sample transportation and collection of analytical results in timely and efficient manner.
- Assist Environmental Engineers in generating reports like Daily/Monthly monitoring reports, Historical weather data, Waste tracking report, Air emissions report, and Monthly Environmental KPIs.
- Maintain documents and records of field measurements, equipment calibrations, equipment troubleshooting, and inspection rounds. Submits periodic reports per instructions of Environmental Engineer. Quality, Health, Security, Safety and Environment
- Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and relevant quality, health, safety, security and environmental procedures and controls across the Section to guarantee employee safety and delivery of high-quality products/services. Policies, Systems, Processes and Procedures
- Contribute to the identification of opportunities for the continuous improvement of systems, processes, and practices in order to increase productivity and operational efficiency.
- Implement all relevant Section’s policies, processes, procedures, and instructions so that work is carried out in a controlled and consistent manner.